Its now very easy to create and use virtual hard disks files in Windows 7 look like real disks. This trick will give you the facility to use a live Windows installation on your virtual disk without any need of booting the virtual Computer.
To create and use a virtual disk
- Press the Windows Key, right-click on Computer
- Go to Manage -> Disk Management -> Action -> Create VHD. There you can specify the location and size of your virtual hard disk file.
- Press the Windows Key, right-click Computer, then go to Manage -> Disk Management -> Action -> Attach VHD and you have to specify the location and if it’s read only or not.
- Press the Windows Key, right-click on Computer, go to Manage -> Disk Management -> Action -> Attach VHD, specify the location
- Click Ok, then right click on the virtual disk and click on Initialize Disk.
- Select the partition style you want to use and then right-click on the unallocated space and click “New Simple Volume” and follow the instructions wizard. Now, a new hard drive appears in Windows Explorer and you can use it as a real partition.