1. Use a sitemap generator and generate XML sitemaps like twice a week.
2. Use an Ideal Robot.txt File which do the following:Points to the sitemap in first line.
Disallow unnecessary pages, folders so search engines get to your content instead of wasting time and getting less important stuff.
Here is a sample : http://www.designzzz.com/robots.txt
3. Using rel=”nofollow” Attribute in outgoing or less important links.This Attribute tells the search engine bots not to follow the specific link or do not share that page’s Rank with this link. This is a very important tip , you can control your site’s SEO and Page rank by just using proper nofollow attributes.
Some plugins which we use in Wordpess blogs requires a must nofollow and we never thought about that. Here is a very cool example. You are using the easy retweet plugin and Retweet buttons are shown on start of every post even on your homepage. Lets say you have 10 posts blocks on your homepage and have 10 retweet buttons on it link to twitter.com !!! that means there are ten outgoing links, you are sharing your site’s page rank and getting lesser visibility in search engine. it can be nofollowfrom its settings.
4. Proper URL and Title Structure
It is the most important part which we neglect while publishing a post. Lets take a simple example. I am about ot publish a post lets say.
10 Awesome Graphics Designs and Digital Artworks the URL would be :
Seems pretty much alright, right? Well..here u miss about 30% of your visibility!!
A simple reason using STOP WORDS in title and URL are the worst idea u can think up of. !! AND is a stop word. About the url why make it so long using extra stuff in it like the word 10 , and etc. Trust me no one will search for your content in search engines with these words 10 graphics design. If they look for that they will search graphics designs etc.
So get rid of 10 , and from your URL. Here is how they should be:
- Title: 10 Awesome Graphics Designs n Digital Artworks
- URL: www.yoursite.com/category/awesome-graphics-designs-digital-artworks/
5. Using Keywords and Meta Description:Ok, i have noticed that most of the bloggers use very tiny keywords. Well, guys small get a habit of using long tail keywords,because with them u get traffic for life time. Lets take the example of that above title post. keywords/tags which bloggers normally select are: graphics, design, digital, artworks. Why don’t you spice them up a bit to get even more traffic? If i would do it , I would use these keywords:
Graphics, Design, Digital Artworks, Graphic Designs, Digital Graphics.
I actually spread the same keywords with order and words variation!!
About meta description keep it below 160 characters and add your keywords in it as well as possible like each keyword should be mentioned at least once.
6. Automatic SEO Plugin for Wordpress
Well, I have used several plugins to test which one is good and the only plugin which satisfied me is Headspace2 SEO. I Recommend it.
7. On post page title of post should be written in Heading 1 (H1). and its very important to use your keywords in h2, h3 and h4 if possible.
8. Title and ALT Attribute in Links:Ok, this is an important part which none of us actually look at. Title and alt attributes in links plays an important role in telling search bots that what this link or image is about.
Title and alt attributes are written like this if you are unaware of it:
- alt=”what image is about” />
Consider this example!! Like the graphics design post we discussed above. Your post consists of 10 Images. That means not much text to get good ranking and visibility in search engines. So why not use altattribute in an optimized way!! in 10 images add alt tags with picture name + keyword/tag.
For example, the image name is abcd. i will add the alt attribute as alt=”abcd design”or abcd graphics etc. That means in 10 places on your page’s source code your keywords are used! I think you get my point.
9. Avail Wordpress ping facility to get max exposure and inbound linksHere is a list you might consider putting in your ping section in admin>settings>Writing: